Thursday, January 30, 2014

Dumb Phones

I've had a smart phone for a LONG time.

Too long.

I thought I was important before I was 20. Now, at 25, I realize I'm not that important. Not important enough to need access to my email and facebook 24/7. In fact, I'm also finding that I don't desire to be that important.

I guess that's not really true. There is a part of me that desires that, or else I wouldn't be so hooked to my phone. But since I can't find a way to have a smart phone and not be attached to it, I think it's time I get rid of it.

The internet is two fold for me. I LOVE Google. Everything about it. I even don't mind that they save my information and then pull up my searches for me so that it's easier for me to find what I already looked for. (That ladies and gentlemen is how lazy I am, but more of that in another post)

I love "Googling" things. When you say, "I wonder how long it would take to skip from New York to San Diego?" I immediately respond with, "I'll Google it."

My 2nd most loved app (right after Facebook) is Google Maps. I can look at maps all day, in fact, I usually do.

Access to those tools is appealing and useful to me.

But, besides that, the internet is usually a black hole for my confidence. Not always in the way of appearance. Usually it comes byway of comparing where I am in life to others; single vs married, buying vs renting a house, career path vs a job.

A little radical? Sometimes. Irrational? All the time.

I've always wanted to be the best. Not at anything particular, just the best. Not just that, I also want the whole world to know. I'm not a private person and sometimes that's good (for the sake of transparency and openness) and sometimes it's downright annoying. Even to my own ears.

With all that said, the point of this post is not to beat down on myself. It is to say that I realize that constant access to everyone else's lives (or least the perfect ones they display on social media) is not always healthy for me.

I think it's time I move on-er uh, move back? I'm talking, back to 2004, to a time where phones were used for talking, the occasional game of "snake" and had cool names like "razor". I'm ready to be freed from the binds of constant comparison and spend that time living my own life.

Here's to finding more ways to simplify life.  *cheers*


No comments:

Post a Comment