Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Story

I discovered a song on MySpace (what!?) that resonated with my heart so soundly that even still, when I hear the song for the first time in a while, I tear up.

The theme of the song is about a pilgrim on a journey. The song never says where they're going, but it focuses on the journey and encourages the pilgrim to keep moving.

You can find the song here.


This journey started 10 years ago.

I did things a little differently when I was coming of age.

I gave up a hefty scholarship to college to pursue an unpaid internship at my church.

I packed up my stuff and moved to China to help a friend with a ministry she was running.

I gave up a corporate job with benefits and paid time off to run a restaurant in my home town because it sounded interesting.

I don't have a college degree. Some days, it's not something I'm proud of. Most days, I realize that I've done more since I've graduated high school than most adults have done in their lives. Did I mention that I have no student loans?

I have a way of unintentionally bucking the system in my search to find a career or job that fills the oh so oddly shaped void.

Well, this season is no different. I left the restaurant because of some things that were going on internally within the company. That job was the closest I had been to finding my niche. I feel that I am currently in a time of transition as I wait until the next step is revealed.

I have realized over the last year my desire for simplicity. I want to give up my smart phone and grab a book, I want to not be dependent on the grocery store and go out to the garden for what I need.

I'm not quite sure how this fits into my story yet, but the Lord is opening some doors.

My plan is for this blog to be about this next stage, about my pilgrimage. I am not good at documenting what's going on and I sit here now wishing I had been better at that through the years. There are a couple of artifacts from past seasons but not enough.

So here's to there "being enough".

No comments:

Post a Comment